“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.”
– Thomas Edison
So- here’s my last night/this morning story: I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn’t fall back asleep, so instead of trying to force myself back to bed (like most people would normally do), I did what I often do: I brainstormed and researched a bunch of vegan recipes I want to try out! So around 7:30am, I thought it seemed like a great idea to get out of bed and try to create some hearty vegan pesto pasta (when inspiration hits, you just have to roll with it!!!)- and I’m glad I did because man, oh man, was I in for a treat! Creamy, spicy, savoury, comforting. I was inspired to try out this version of vegan pesto that I found in the “Forks Over Knives Cookbook” (recipe “Arugula Pesto Risotto”)- but I have changed up the recipe a bit to cater it a bit more to my liking. P.S.- side note, if you have not seen the “Forks Over Knives” documentary, get on that now! The FOK crew also have a couple wonderful books/cookbooks filled with delicious, simple recipes! Check it out!!!
Anyways, back to the main topic here: this recipe is extremely simple- literally you just need to round up all the ingredients and put everything into the blender, and then pour onto cooked noodles and add some chopped zucchini!
Here’s what you’ll need for the pesto:
- 4 cups arugula
- 4 cups kale (any tough stems removed)
- one bunch of basil (averages about a cup)
- 1 ripe avocado (pit and skin removed)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 serrano chilies (optional- more or less depending on how spicy you like it!)
- 1 tsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 2 tsp light tamari (make sure you buy gluten free if you are avoiding gluten)
- 3 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 low-sodium vegetable stock
- juice from one lemon wedge
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds (these little white seeds have a nice flavour, a high-density nutritional punch and visually give a ‘parmesan-like’ appearance)
- 2 tbs pine nuts
Here’s what you need for the pasta:
- pasta noodles of choice (I used 100% whole wheat spaghetti noodles, but feel free to use gluten free or whichever noodles you like most!)
- 1 whole zucchini
- crushed red pepper hot sauce (optional for garnish)
Start by cooking pasta noodles, drain and set aside. Now put all pesto ingredients into the blender and add water as needed while blending everything together if you need more liquid (put hemp seeds and pine nuts in blender last). Chop zucchini into quarters length-wise, and then dice them relatively thin. Now add the zucchini back into the pot where you were cooking the noodles with a generous few spoonfuls of the pesto from the blender. Let warm up for a minute or two, then add the noodles in the pot as well and add as much pesto as you prefer. I like a generous coating all over the noodles. Then let heat up for a couple more mins while you keep stirring. Pour into a bowl or on a plate and garnish with a dollop of crushed red pepper hot sauce for a really nice kick of spice!
This recipe makes a good amount of pesto, so store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and use for pasta meals throughout the week or as a spread on a sandwich!
So, there you have it! As promised- extremely easy and packed full of wonderful healthful ingredients with no added salt or oil 🙂
That’s all from me for now- and now back to bed for a nap! Until next time!! Enjoy!!!