“The gods created certain kinds of beings to replenish our bodies; they are the trees and the plants and the seeds.”
So here’s a quick and dirty weeknight meal. Vegan “refried bean” burritos!
- 1 bunch spinach chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 2 avocados pitted and mashed
- small red onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of fresh corn cut off the cob (I used two cobs of corn)
- 1/2 a green pepper diced small
- 1 can black beans, liquid drained
- 1/2 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 package of tortillas (corn, rice, wheat, etc)
- Put a tablespoon of vegetable broth in a big pot over medium heat- sauté the onions for about 5 mins (add some more small splashes of vegetable broth to keep the onions from sticking to the pot as needed). Then add the chipotle powder, garlic powder and hot sauce. Cook for one more min.
- Add the remaining vegetable broth and the black beans into the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, stirring often and then lower heat to a simmer for about 10 mins.
- Now- take a potato masher or the back of a spoon and start smashing those black beans! This gives the beans a really nice texture (similar to refried beans). Keep simmering until desired thickness is reached.
- Add in corn and green pepper and keep stirring for another min or so. Turn off heat.
- Now in a big bowl: (s)mash the avocado and toss in the chopped tomatoes and cilantro and mix well.
- Now cover a couple tortillas in tin foil and let them warm up for a couple mins in the oven.
- Take the tortillas out of the oven and assemble the burrito as follows: bean mixture, avocado mixture, chopped spinach and a bit more hot sauce if you like. Fold up the bottom of the tortilla, and wrap the two sides inward and that’s it!!!
Incredibly easy, hearty, filling and nutritious!!! Enjoy 🙂