“Our task must be to free ourselves… by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
After that amazing sun-filled weekend, it’s Monday morning and maybe you need a bit of a jolt to get your day started. Look no further!
I love this easy latte that you can make at home just using a coffee maker, a fine mesh strainer and your blender (no espresso machine necessary 🙂 )
So here is what you’ll need:
- A freshly brewed cup of ground coffee
- 1/3 cup plant milk (almond, coconut, cashew, soy etc)
- 4 ice cubes (add more if you want to make iced version of the latte- I just used a couple cubes to cool down the freshly brewed coffee. Adding any at all is optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons raw cashews (optional- gives wonderful creaminess)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medjool date, pit removed (for sweetness)
- a couple sprinkles of cinnamon (you can also add a pinch of nutmeg, allspice or any other spices you like)
Method to the madness:
- Add the date and the plant milk to the blender. Blend until the date is blended as finely as possible.
- Now add the cashews, vanilla extract, and a couple dashes of cinnamon. Blend them as finely as possible.
- Add in ice cubes if using and then run the blender until the ice is crushed and everything is mixed well.
- Lastly, add in the coffee and blend.
- Now, set up the fine mesh strainer over a wide mouth bowl. Pour the blender contents through the strainer. Allow all the liquid to drip through the strainer for a minute. Now, I like to double strain the mixture, so I pour the liquid back into the blender and allow it to blend for 10 more seconds and then I pour the liquid through the strainer one last time. This allows the last little date and cashew pieces to get filtered out.
- Pour mixture into a glass and sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon on top.
Note: when I’m pouring my liquid through the strainer (the second time through), I won’t pour out all of the foam. I keep some of it for my drink because it’s creamy and delicious. But try to filter as much as possible or you will have tiny cashew pieces in your drink 😀
In any case, that is it! I think this simple recipe really proves the title of my blog: Nature is Sexy. I mean- just look at those colours!!!! All of these complex elements came from plants. So wonderful.
Embrace it. Love it. Drink it.
Anyways, that’s all from me for today. Now time to sip my latte and catch up with the latest vegan news. Always gaining inspiration for future creations.
Have a wonderful day with this glorious weather. Summer is reaching us- what other reason do you need to be happy?
🙂 xo Kaitlin