“What you eat every day is a far more powerful determinant of your health than your DNA or most of the nasty chemicals lurking in your environment.”
-Dr. T. Colin Campbell, author of “The China Study”
So this is an awesome side dish but is also very filling and can be enjoyed as part of a main dish. It’s very simple and delicious which is exciting because it doesn’t take much effort- and then voila! You have a scrumptious side dish!
Cauliflower is incredibly healthful, as are all of the cruciferous vegetables. So I figured it was time to try mashed cauliflower in hopes of replacing my obsession with mashed potatoes (maximize the nutrient density of my meals). While it doesn’t taste the same as mashed potatoes, it is a wonderfully tasteful dish in it’s own right.
Start by preheating the oven to 400F and chop the cauliflower into florets. Prepare a baking sheet with tin foil. Chop the ends off of the garlic cloves (but don’t peel the cloves) and wrap them all together in tin foil. Then begin roasting the garlic and the cauliflower in the oven for 35 minutes at 400F.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup plant milk of choice (ie almond or cashew)
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp red pepper chili flakes
- green onions, chopped for garnish
- After they have cooled slightly, put the roasted cauliflower and garlic into the food processor with the plant milk.
- Pulse for 15 seconds. Add all of the other ingredients except for the chopped green onions. Pulse until desired consistency as been acquired.
- Plate the mashed cauliflower and top with ground black pepper and green onions.
- Add a slash of hot sauce if desired and enjoy!
And that’s it! I hope you guys enjoy this dish as much as I did! Taking that traditional side dish of mashed potatoes to whole new level!!